Array rank

Actually, my memory differs from DLW's; I thought McCarthy suggested 63.
Yes, that number is causing flak.  I bet 7 would be acceptable.

Indeed, if you write a portable program that has a function of 93 arguments
and try to run it on an implementation that supports only 92 you will
lose.  If you write a portable program that does an FFT on a ten-gigabyte
array and try to run it on an 8086, you will also lose.  I'm not sure
what is the best thing to write into the standard, which is why
I wanted to re-raise the issue.
--Guy