REDUCE function re-proposed

Sounds good.  Regarding DT's proposed variant, the problem is that it
only works with functions that can happily accept zero arguments; your
examples used +, -, and LIST, which do accept zero arguments as well as
two, but other useful functions might not accept zero.  Common Lisp is
not especially trying to make everything work with zero arguments in all
cases.  One might argue that in all the functions that are reasonable
first arguments to REDUCE do, in fact, take any number of arguments,
because that's the kind of function they are, but I'd have to see such
an argument developed more fully before I'd be convinced.