Where Pure Common Lisp lives

    Date: Fri, 23 May 1986  14:57 EDT
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    Hmmmm...is USER allowed to start up with random local extensions in it,
    or is it supposed to inherit ONLY from the LISP package, which is now
    pure Common Lisp?  How have people been reading this?  Part of my
    objection to making LISP pure was because I assumed that this meant USER
    had to be pure as well, which means that we need another standard place
    to look for the default local environment.

I always assumed USER was supposed to have everything in it.  I guess this
is not written down anyplace, though.  Sigh.

To be a true standard to which many implementations adhere, rather than the
original goal of making four Lisp implementations go in the same direction
instead of four different directions, Common Lisp will have to be a lot more
precise.