REMF and REMPROP

    Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1987  11:33 EST
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    I guess this is yet another thing that needs to be clarified.  Here are
    a couple of opinions that may be of use in the meantime:

    First, it is in the nature of property lists that they get destructively
    modified, and it is a remarkably bad idea to write code of the sort you
    describe that shares this top-level list structure.  Anyone who writes
    code that does this should change the code to something sensible and not
    quibble about what is legal.

We agree here.

    On the other hand, it seems to me that it violates the (implicit)
    contract of a destructive operation like REMPROP to take the excised
    piece of list and chop it up into little pieces or to re-use the list
    cells that it snipped out.  The fact that some built-in operation makes
    a destructive change does not necessarily give this operation the right,
    or the necessary global perspective, to decide what is garbage and what
    is not.  Sharing is possible in Common Lisp, and it is the garbage
    collector's job to decide what cons cells can safely be recycled.
    Destructive operations should do what they are documented to do, and no
    more.

If this is the case, then they should be documented to do something.

Consider:  I can think of two plausible implementations of REMPROP which
"only do their contract".  The first one is the zetalisp version which
requires that the top-level list be spliced in a specific fashion.  The
second would be a function which pulled all the elements of the plist
after the removed property pair forward, and set the CDR of the tail
NIL.  I will argue that both of these functions "do what they are
documented to do, and no more".  However, programs which share property
lists would behave differently in the two hypothetical implementations.

So my question is, if this is allowed, why can't I wreak my own havoc
with the spare conses, which has the same effect?